Let's talk about those Emmy Nominations....

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Hi friends!

As of late, my blog has been mostly dominated by food and beauty posts. I love doing these posts, because I'm very interested in both beauty and food! But, I also like to branch out and write posts about other things I'm interested in. One of those things that I'm interested in is Television. I speak about my favorite shows often in real life and on social media so I thought I should incorporate it more into my blog. 


So, that being said, I'm going to talk about T.V. today! This morning, Emmy Nominations were announced so I'm just going to give my opinions and thoughts about them! Being a T.V. junkie, I have a lot to say! :)


What They Got Wrong: Snubs


A huge issue for me with the Emmy's or the Golden Globes when it comes to Television is that they often snub actors or shows that deserve nominations! (Nick Offerman from Parks and Rec, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Gilmore Girls - Lauren Graham is a goddess okay?, Orphan Black, SNL, and so on). I'm going to talk about the top 5 snubs this year! 


1. Orphan Black and Tatiana Maslany (AGAIN)
If you are unaware, Orphan Black is about a woman named Sarah, played by Maslany, who figures out that she has quite a few clones! Sounds like a brilliant concept, right? It is! From the pilot episode on, the twists and turns do not stop. It's suspenseful, exciting, and has just the right amount of heart and humor. This is unequivocally my favorite show at the moment and has easily made my Top-10 shows of all time list (that's a hard feat if you're wondering). To see it snubbed is really upsetting. I feel that the Emmy's often ignore many Sci-Fi series' which is silly. 

Tatiana Maslany is one of the most talented actresses of our time. On this show she plays upwards of 6 completely different characters all with different accents, appearances, and personalities. And she pulls it off so well that you forget it's just one woman doing this all! 


2. The Mindy Project and Mindy Kaling

The next disappointing snub is that of The Mindy Project and Mindy Kaling in the Best Comedy Series and Best Actress in a Comedy Series categories. 



For the past two seasons, this show has been consistently laugh-out-loud hilarious, smart, and just plain fun. The way Mindy acts, writes, and cultivates her show makes it so deserving of many nominations. (Ike Barinholtz as Morgan is one of my favorite things ever)


3. Emmy Rossum

If you haven't watched Emmy Rossum playing her heart out as Fiona Gallagher on 'Shameless' you are missing out on one of the best performances on television. Rossum plays Fiona with so much passion and heart and I am so dissapointed she still (after 4 seasons) has not been recognized for her performance. 


4. The Good Wife

One of the best shows on Television. Period. Great acting, great characters, insane twists and turns. This (when paired next to Downton Abbey) should have been nominated. I love this show. It's sad to see it snubbed.


5. Amy Schumer and Inside Amy Schumer 

This show is damn hilarious. Sketch shows never really get any love on the Emmy's stage and this year was no different, despite how great Inside Amy Schumer is. It's raunchy and hilarious and Amy is putting out some of the funniest sketches on television right now. In my opinion, this should have gotten more love


What They Got Right: Surprises and Well-Deserved Nominations

1. Orange is the New Black
I was so happy to see OITNB getting love from the Emmy's. A well-deserving best Comedy Series Nod along with nominations for Kate Mulgrew and Taylor Schilling in major categories. It's such a great show with unique plot lines, complex characters, and amazing writing. You should be watching this.

2. Kate McKinnon


I am absolutely ECSTATIC right now over Kate's nomination. She is the star of SNL right now and consistently is the funniest cast member with the best impressions and characters. This is so incredibly well-deserving I want to cry. Don't believe me???? Go watch some stuff and get back to me mmmkay?
3. Lizzy Caplan and Masters of Sex

Great to see 'Masters of Sex' get love from the Emmy's and in particular Lizzy Caplan. I've been obsessed with Lizzy Caplan for awhile now and I'm sooooo glad she's getting some recognition for her great performance on this great new show! 

4. Fargo
Glad to see this get a nod for Best Miniseries or TV Movie. I really loved this 10 episode series. Great performances, awesome storyline, and a thousand more things make this really deserving.

5. Silicon Valley
I'm so happy to see this HBO show get a nod for Best Comedy Series. I love it. It's so hilarious and it's nice to see a pretty fresh-faced cast. You'll recognize a bunch of the actors with varying degrees of familiarity and I think that everyone brings something strong. It's fucking funny too.


So there are some of my thoughts on the Nods! What does everyone else think?


xo Emily


Post a Comment