OATMEAL!!!!!!!!

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Hey guys!!! As you might be able to tell by the title of this blog post, today I'm going to be talking about Oatmeal. Which may seem super strange, because no one really has that much to say about oatmeal but, I am very strongly opinionated about it!

To me, oatmeal is amazing. Not only is it delicious, it's incredibly good for you and super versatile. 

Oatmeal is a great grain. It's low in calories and high in fiber and protein as well as having low levels of fat. It protets against heart disease and heart failure as well as being filled up with Antioxidants. There's a bunch more benefits of oatmeal that I won't bother to list, so you'll have to take my word for it. 

In addition to being great for you, it's delicious.

It's a staple in my diet and it should be in yours!



My favorite way to eat oatmeal is for breakfast. But even with that, you can find great versability in ways to prepare and serve it. 

One great way to eat oatmeal is just to add a bunch of fruit to it. Blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, and bananas all taste fantastic sprinkled in with cinnamon. There's no need to add any extra sugar too, because of all the natural sweetness from the fruit. 










I also love to make cookies with oats instead of flour. Especially if you often make cookies with white flour, oats are a healthier alternative and taste just as good!

It's also so easy to make; depending on which type of oats you use. When I'm in a rush on weekday mornings before class or work, I love to use either instant oatmeal or old-fashioned oats. 

I really like this Quaker Perfect Portions mix as of late. There's a bunch of different flavors and there's no added sugar which makes it so much healthier.





Another classic are the old-fashioned oats. Easy to microwave or throw on the stove!



When I have a little more time, especially on the weekend, I love preparing steel-cut oats. Steel cut oats are different than the instant/old-fashioned oats. They're rolled oats, whereas the steel cut oats are the inner part of the kernal all cut up. 

Steel-cut oats take a little longer to make but they're a little healthier than their rolled-oat counterpart. Steel-cut oats are less calories, have a smaller sugar content, and are lower on the Glycemic Index, making them just a bit healthier than rolled-oats. 

I get my steel-cut oats in Bulk from my local grocery store!
To make steel-cut oats, you mix 1 cup of the grain with 2 cups of water. Place that in a pot, making sure the water is cold and let it simmer for about 30 minutes and voila: steel-cut oats. 

 

 Oatmeal is delicious, healthy, and a perfect breakfast!!

Yum!

xo Emily







Post a Comment