Manicure Monday

Monday, July 7, 2014

Hello all! Happy Monday! I've had a really lazy day and decided that it would be the perfect time to share one of my favorite nail looks with you all!


I call it the "Ice Cream Scoop" because I use pastel polishes and layer them so it kind of looks like dripping ice cream!



Here's how to get this nail look!

First off, start with fresh nails. It's important to keep your nails strong and healthy so that they don't flake, break too easily, or get damaged by repeated use of nail polish remover and nail polish itself. To keep your nails healthy here are a few tips:


- Keep your nails regularly filed and cut, so that they won't accidentally break
- Don't bite and pick at your nails
- Keep your nails moisturized by using lotions everyday (this is also good for  your hands)
- Don't use acetone-based nail polish remover. It'll dry out your nails.
- Base coats and top coats will help keep your nails protected, and keep your  manicure on longer, which will keep you from having to overdo the remover  and polish
- Eat healthy and try to take a vitamin containing Biotin - it helps keep nails    strong


Okay, let's get into it!

As I said, we're starting out with clean nails. 


Next up I'm taking my Zoya nail polish in the color 'Dot' which is a very light, pastel pink. This is one of my favorite go-to colors and I think it's adds just the perfect amount of pop. 


After letting that dry, I went in with my Sinful Colors polish in the shade 'Tempest', a darker purple. It's still very pastel, but adds a bit more color to my nails. I applied this on about 3/4 of my nail, leaving the area near my cuticle free of purple.  I really like this polish and have been a huge fan of Sinful Colors for years now. Their polishes are so affordable (under $2 each) and there are so many color choices.


I then went in with the small, detailer brush from my Sally Hansen I Heart Nail Art Kit and gave the edge of the polish a rounded, melty look; mimicking ice cream.


I've been really loving this little kit ever since I picked it up a few weeks ago. It lets you do fun designs with your polish. I love the three tools it comes with; one detailer brush, one striping brush, and one marbling and dotting tool, and it's so easy to use and not too expensive. ($6 at Target)




 My last step in creating the pastel Ice Cream nail art look was to add the third color, an Urban Outfitters polish called 'Crowded' to the tips of my nails. This shade is one of my favorites; just a pastel periwinkle color.



After my nails were dry, I just used the applicator to dot a line across the top of my nails; where the white in a french manicure would usually go. I again used my small detailer brush and made sure it looked melty.



This is definitely a go-to manicure look for me and it's so easy to accomplish. You don't even need the tool kit to achieve it, either!

Hope you get some #nailspiration from this!

Have a great day!

xo Emily



Post a Comment