Choosing Kindness

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

I had a pretty stressful day today. Work was long and busy and I was busy stressing about a midterm I have tomorrow. I was so happy to just get on the subway to make my way home to begin studying and take a shower, at least relax a little bit. 

Unfortunately, my stress level only heightened on my journey home. On the train, I saw one of the most disgusting and hateful displays of homophobia and cruelty I've ever seen. A woman, embroiled in a loud discussion with her friend, was saying things about gay people that made me sick to my stomach. A woman asked her to be quieter, because of how hateful she was being and so loud, and the woman went off. She spewed threats and insluts and some of the most disugsting and foul language I've ever heard. 

I had to leave the train at an early stop, I was so upset and shaken up. I cried for awhile, because I felt so helpless and sad - so upset with the world at that moment.

When I finally returned to my room, I broke down to my roommates again, and let it all out to them. I took a cold shower, and collected myself enough to just reflect. 

Firstly, I wrote a long email to my parents and sister. I thanked them for being such amazing examples of kindness, tolerance, and love. They have made me who I am and I'm so very grateful that I don't live with such hate in my heart.

They taught me to always "choose kindess" and above all else, make Kindness your religion and practice it daily. It's something I quite often take for granted, but I'm so lucky it's engrained in me. 

Today I just wanted to encourage everyone to Choose Kindess. It's not hard to do. It's no hassle. It's a simple conscious thought - choose kindness. 

So often, we are caught up in insults and rudeness and just plain intolerance. Even internally, we sometimes have thoughts towards strangers on the street that, although we don't vocalize, are cruel.

I need to remind myself to Choose Kindness. To be a good person. To treat every single person with the respect I know I except in return.

If you're looking for inspiration, here are some of my favorite organizations that facilitate, empower, and radiate kindness and equality:



I hope everyone goes about their day or their week or the next few minutes choosing kindness, influencing the world in a beautiful, constructive way. I promise you, it'll make the world of a difference. 

xo Emily

3 comments

  1. It's so sad how many people choose negativity instead of positivity, intolerance instead of acceptance. But the only way to change that is to take the first step and choose the good things ourselves. Wonderful post :)
    xox,
    Cee
    www.cocoandvera.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a beautiful post. I really enjoyed reading it . I'm going to take a look at some of the organisations :) x

    Angela | The Sunday Chapter

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post, I'm always interested into taking part on humanitarian campaigns!
    http://fashion-soup.com/

    ReplyDelete